RE: stds-802-16: quick results of SEC meeting today

>Congratulations Roger. What is the status of :
>
>a) Motion to Request IEEE-SA to make Sponsor Ballot Pool & Group membership lists available online

I did not make a motion on this topic. Also, there was no time on the agenda of the 802.16 Closing Plenary to update the group on this issue. So, here is some more detail:

The minutes of the Opening SEC Meeting (of July 8) show this item:

"802 coordination with IEEE-SA for Eballoting tools development
Mary Lynne Nielson [of the IEEE Balloting Center] and [802 Vice Chair] Geoff [Thompson] gave a seminar on electronic balloting at the Standards Forum at the June Standards Board meeting. Geoff has provided our material to IEEE for development of electronic balloting tools. Mary Lynne asked for comments and concerns with electronic balloting."

I raised with Mary Lynne the issue of availability of lists on-line for verification. She recalled that I had raised similar issues (plus other concerns) with her several months ago. IEEE will not provide web-accessible lists because of privacy concerns. However, Mary Lynne has been responding to my concerns; she noted that IEEE has contracted an IT developer to create an improved electronic balloting system, including a web-accessible database that will provide users with their voting status by looking up their IEEE membership number.

Mary Lynne also provided me with a hardcopy of the 802.16 Balloting Pool. If you need to confirm your status on it, you may send me an email and I will tell you what it says. If you need to make a correction, you can tell me and I'll pass the corrections back to her.

An alternative method is to just re-register for any Balloting Pool you choose:
	http://standards.ieee.org/db/balloting/ballotform.html

You can use this form whether or not you are current in a Pool.

>b) Proposed SEC Rule changes for time of SEC meetings on Fridays.

The rules change had just enough votes to pass. The rules now say that SEC closing meetings begin at 1 pm on Friday.

The other two rules changes passed also. The main implication for us has to do with letter ballot periods: ballots on drafts can now be as short as 30 days; recirculations, and other non-draft ballots, have a 15-day minimum.

Roger