stds-802-16: Re: call for replies to P802.16a/D5 Sponsor Ballot comments

I'd like to add an important point regarding reply comments.

When you write your replies, please remember that our ultimate purpose is to write comment resolutions that are to be recirculated. These resolutions (which will go in the "Reason for Group's Decision/Resolution" field) are formal responses from us (the Working Group) back to the entire Ballot Group (not just to the voter). They need to be written formally, thoroughly, and technically. Failure on this regard can hurt us (as it did once before).

Now, when you write a "Reason for Recommendation," remember that you are _drafting_ the formal "Reason for Group's Decision/Resolution". That means that you shouldn't say something like "As I told you back in January, I don't really think it's a good idea to make a change like this because I'm not sure it would work." If you do, and if we accept your reasoning, then we still need to take valuable meeting time to rewrite your recommendation into a usable formal form.

So, if you want to really help, use the reply process not to express your opinion to the voter. Instead, use it to draft an opinion from the Working Group to the Ballot Group. If we like your reply, we should be able to copy it straight into the group resolution fields below. This will really make for a much more efficient meeting.

Thanks!

Roger