stds-802-16: outcome of 802.16a Ballot Resolution Committee

Dear 802.16 Participants:

I have good news to report regarding the 802.16a Ballot Resolution
Committee (BRC).

Recall that, in its Session #21 Closing Plenary Meeting, the 802.16
Working Group, by unanimous vote, appointed a Ballot Resolution
Committee to resolve any comments arising from the recirculation of
the 802.16a Sponsor Ballot, provided that the BRC could reach
unanimous agreement. The BRC was faced with 32 such comments.

After weeks of discussions and many hours of teleconferences, the BRC
has today completed a set of comment resolutions:
	http://ieee802.org/16/docs/02/80216-02_54r3.zip
with the adopted changes to the draft detailed in:
	http://ieee802.org/16/tga/contrib/C80216a-02_90r7.pdf and
	http://ieee802.org/16/tga/contrib/C80216a-02_92.pdf

This package was unanimously approved today by the seven voting
members of the BRC. As a result, the Tecnical Editor (Nico van Waes)
is developing P802.16a/D6 for a second recirculation (a Confirmation
Ballot), to begin as soon as possible next week.

The work of the BRC is documented in a committee report:
	http://ieee802.org/16/docs/02/80216-02_56r2.pdf
It shows that the seven BRC members (Brian Eidson, Marianna
Goldhammer, Itzik Kitroser, Bob Nelson, Randall Schwartz, Shawn
Taylor, and Nico Van Waes), worked diligently, tirelessly, and
cooperatively along with the two observers (Brian Kiernan and me) to
complete the resolution process. We all owe the BRC a big-time debt
of thanks.

In preparing the confirmation ballot package, it is important for me
to know, as soon as possible, whether any Disapprove voters will be
satisfied with some or all of the resolutions of their comments. Four
Disapprove voters have already converted the votes to Approve on the
basis of the resolutions. I'll be following up with others, but, if
you are one of them, feel free to contact me first. The BRC will have
a bit more work to do in developing more detailed technical
explanations for some of the decisions, but we first need to see
which voters remain unsatisfied.

Given the results of this committee, I believe that there is a good
chance that D6 will be the final draft of 802.16a. Next week, I will
submit D6 to RevCom for IEEE-SA approval, which could come on 11
December. I do not believe we will need to allocate much time to
802.16a at Session #22. I have not scheduled any time for TGa to meet
separately in Kauai; I expect that any 802.16a issues can be
addressed at the Working Group Opening Plenary.

Thanks again to the Group of Seven, and to Brian Kiernan, for pulling
this one out!

Regards,

Roger