stds-802-16: Broadcast technical query

Title: Broadcast technical query

All,

Roger Marks has suggested that in order to get a broad view and stimulate comment I should use the reflector to seek opinion. Any comment would be appreciated on the following questions.

In P802.16/Amendment 3 it is stated that the addition of the fast power control MAC message FPC is sent on the broadcast CID. How is this achieved in a true broadcast fashion? I presume it is sent as part of the FCH when all the SS are expecting to receive data. Is this true? If so this raises another question: on review of the PHY specifications the description of the payload of the FCH is sometimes limited to DL-MAP, UL-MAP, DCD and UCD, and in other cases reference is made to including other messages. In P802.16/Amendment 3 reference is made in section 8.5.4.2 to "The first DL burst contains broadcast MAC control messages". What is meant by the "first DL burst"? I seek some clarification of the broadcast methodology across PHYs?

Regards,

Paul.

~

Dr Paul Piggin