From: owner-stds-802-16@majordomo.ieee.org [mailto:owner-stds-802-16@majordomo.ieee.org]On Behalf Of Johnston, Dj
Sent: 10 December, 2003 10:11 PM
To: Eyal Verbin; carl.eklund@nokia.com
Cc: stds-802-16@ieee.org
Subject: RE: stds-802-16: 802.16d - 7.5.2.2

Carl, Eyal,

Thankyou for your timely responses.

It seems that there is something of a inconsistency here. The argument
for doing RSA key transfer in mesh seems plausible (I've not looked too
closely) but it does not make sense for PMP where 3DES based key
transfer appears much more efficient, given that we already have
exchanged and AK using RSA and the additional overhead of another RSA
operation seems unecessary.

Looking at the profiles for WirelessMAN OFDM, 12.3.1.1.1 Table 300 (in
draft D2) makes RSA key exchange mandatory and 3DES optional. For Mesh,
Table 301 does the same thing.

Perhaps we should at least amend Table 300 to swap the mandatory
requirement to 3DES EDE and the optional requirement to RSA.

What do you think?

Thanks,
DJ

Carl:
>TEK exchange using RSA is included to support TEK exchange
>in a mesh system. Although it perfectly well could be used
>in a PMP system that was never the intention. I also think
>the details of the procedure are quite unspecified.

Eyal:
>There are two options for TEK encryption: 3DES and RSA.
>Note that currently the RSA is the mandatory one in terms
>of the system profiles for WirelesMAN OFDM.

David Johnston
Intel Corporation
Chair, IEEE 802 Handoff ECSG

Email : dj.johnston@intel.com