      From: owner-stds-802-16@listserv.ieee.org
      [mailto:owner-stds-802-16@listserv.ieee.org]On Behalf Of
      Phillip Barber
      Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 3:01 AM
      To: STDS-802-16@listserv.ieee.org
      Subject: [STDS-802-16] Broadcast CID for 16e Idle Mode

      I think there is confusion that needs to be clarified.

      A universal, and by universal I mean globally
      consistent across an entire network of BS, broadcast CID for
      the DL transmittal of an Idle Mode BS Broadcast Paging
      (MOB_PAG-ADV) message is a must.  MSS not currently attached
      to the network but listening for the broadcast BS Broadcast
      Paging (MOB_PAG-ADV) message must be able to consistently
      identify and decode the message when transmitted from any BS
      without having to re-enter the network at each BS to join
      some new multicast group.  It would defeat the purpose of
      Idle Mode to enforce network re-entry at each BS.  You could
      create some external multicast CID management mechanism, but
      generally external CID management mechanisms have been
      frowned upon by the group.  It is probably best that the
      broadcast CID for the Idle Mode BS Broadcast Paging
      (MOB_PAG-ADV) message be different from the universal
      Broadcast CID  0xFFFF for reasons previously discussed.

      Of course, on individual BS, the broadcast BS Broadcast
      Paging (MOB_PAG-ADV) message will map to a multicast group
      loaded from the logical network device: Paging Controller.
      Specification of the Paging Controller multicast mapping to
      BS is beyond the scope of 16e but should be considered in the
      Network SG.

      Thanks,
      Phil