Re: [STDS-802-16] recirc question

>Roger,
>I have a procedural question.  If I want to suggest a different solution to
>a commenter's solution, should I vote "accepted-modified" with new text or
>"rejected" and offer new text?
>
>I think the "accepted-modified" may cause vote tallying problems.
>
>Don

Don,

Good question. I hope you don't mind that I am copying my response to
the reflector.

If this were the usual case, with comment resolution during a
meeting, I would advise you to choose "Accepted-modified" and propose
your new solution. If a comment is marked Rejected by the group, then
the editor will not take any action on it. If it is marked
Accepted-modified, then he has work to do.

However, this is a new method
<http://ieee802.org/16/docs/04/80216-04_18r1.pdf> in which we are not
having a meeting. In this case, you can make either choice.
Ultimately, your choice will be reviewed by the commentor, who will
be able to consider how to respond. Your aim should be to stimulate a
response that addresses your concerns. The commentor, recognizing
your concerns, will (you hope) later propose a resolution of his/her
own comment that proposes it should be "Accepted-modified".

Note that there is no voting on comments yet. The revised comments
that enter the voting stage will either be accepted or rejected;
there is no way for the group to modify them. Therefore, at this
stage, the idea is to get feedback to the commentor.

Your reply comments will also be available to the BRC members when
they vote on accepting or rejecting the revised comment. Before they
vote, I encourage the BRC members to take a close look at the reply
comments and determine whether they have been properly addressed.

Roger