Re: [STDS-802-16] results of 802.16 motions at 802 EC meeting

I've had a few requests for more information on the unconventional EC
action regarding the 802.16e PAR.

NesCom meets in person, in conjunction with the IEEE-SA Standards
Board, four times a year. The next meetings are 22 September (for
NesCom) and 23 September (IEEE-SA Standards Board). Typically, the
Board acts on NesCom's recommendations.

In order to reduce the delay before PAR approval, NesCom has a
"Continuous Processing" program. It is more discrete than continuous;
in the program, NesCom can approve PARs in an email process between
NesCom meetings:
        http://standards.ieee.org/faqs/contproc.html

I submitted the 802.16e PAR (along with 802.16f and 802.16g) in time
for the current "Continuous Processing" program, which will result in
PAR approvals on or before August 12.

Last Friday, directly after the EC approved the motion to forward to
NesCom the modified 802.16e PAR, Mr. Upton asked if that PAR was
going to be on the "Continuous Processing" agenda. The Chair, Mr.
Nikolich, asked Mr. Upton if he wanted to make a motion on this. Mr.
Upton (seconded by Mr. Stevenson) moved to pull the 802.16e PAR from
the continuous processing agenda and move it to the September NesCom
meeting. The Chair, Mr. Nikolich, announced that he would not
entertain discussion on the motion. The vote was 6/6/3. In this case,
the Chair may vote to break the tie. Mr. Nikolich voted to approve
the motion. He has since notified NesCom of this decision.

For those of you asking why the EC took this action, I cannot give
you an answer because no debate was permitted.

Roger