[STDS-802-16] [MAINT] Process of Maintenance Task Group

Folks,

Regarding the discussions of scope and process in the Maintenance
Task Group, I'd like to say a few things:

*The inherent scope of a corrigendum is very limited and narrow. It
is NOT appropriate for corrigendum project to reconsider the
technical decisions made in developing a standard. It is, however,
appropriate for a corrigendum to correct the document when the
document fails to properly represent those decisions. The scope is
not to create a better air interface but to ensure that the standard
unambiguously specifies a functional air interface.

*We will be defining a process for this project. I have been looking
carefully at the maintenance process used by 802.3, and have been
discussing it with the 802.3 Chair, Bob Grow. 802.3 has a lot of
experience in this area, and I am trying to learn the key features so
we can adopt the ones that make sense.

*The process needs deal clearly with questions of scope. The Task
Group Chair will have a key role, because the Chair is obligated to
keep the draft in scope. The members will also have a say.

*The WG intends to complete this project very quickly. This is
apparent from the PAR's "Expected Date of Submission for Initial
Sponsor Ballot": 10 Deceember 2004.

*Please consider the ramifications of a ballot group member voting
Disapprove, arguing that a proposed change is out of scope of a
corrigendum. Such a Disapprove comment would be need to be reviewed
by the 802 EC, and then by RevCom. If either of these bodies agreed
with the comment, the chances would be good that the submission would
be bounced back to the WG for further work. This would seriously
delay the progress of the draft. Regardless of what process we define
for the Task Group, the system is designed to ensure that a
corrigendum project stays within its scope.

Roger
--

Dr. Roger B. Marks  <mailto:marks@nist.gov> +1 303 497 3037
National Institute of Standards and Technology/Boulder, CO, USA