From: Itzik Kitroser [mailto:itzikk@RUNCOM.CO.IL]
Sent: August 4, 2004 9:00 AM
To: STDS-802-16@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [STDS-802-16] Maintenance Task Group (was: Re: Corrigenda
gro up)

Vladimir,

I would like also to provide my perspective on this issue.

I agree with you that a well defined criteria is necessary to make our
work efficient.
I also agree with Carl, that a proposal which will not pass the defined
criteria should be rejected.
But,
Since we are dealing with an errata project, then, by definition the
scope is limited.
Since past history teaches us that relaying on people to submit only
proposals that matches the defined criteria is not realistic, then a
mechanism to save our time, and avoid endless discussion is required.

I trust the chair to be objective and to be able to decide, based on his
judgment as a chair, what passes the defined criteria and what does not.

My view is that the technical discussion should focus on the
technical/editorial proposals that pass such criteria, and avoid other
proposals.

Taking you text, "... any comment must be considered technically
including question whether it is in or out of the scope of the project
and resolved as Accepted/Accepted-Modified/Rejected/Superceded" means
that we basically vote on everything, and based on the current
membership situation of the group, can lead us into extreme situations,
in which, at best case we will be out of scope of the defined project.

Here, the procedural tool should be used to make sure that the group
will fulfill its mandate, nothing more and nothing less. Even if the
group thinks (by voting) that out of scope issues should be inserted.

Regards,
Itzik.