Re: [STDS-802-16] Letter to Nescom: (Backward compatibility)

Arthur Wang requested that I send my view on compatibility to the group.
Here it is:
======

Arthur,
  compatibility means that current products will still work with future
products.

An example is 802.11g and 802.11b. A laptop with 802.11b can still
communicate
with a 802.11g access point and vice versa.

802.11 had a choice of making a non-backward compatible standard but they
did not.
And the market validated that that was the correct choice. When 802.11g
products
were introduced, it was a big success.

We have already been down the incompatibility road with 80.16a and 802.16d.
The results is that the market uptake on 802.16a products has been small.
Do we want the same thing to happen with 802.16d products?

That is basically my reasoning behind the letter.

I think that other FFT size can be added (in OFDMA or OFDM) while
maintaining backward
compatibility. Just look at 802.11, they added an OFDM mode to a DSSS
system.

J. Pierre Lamoureux
VP Engineering & CTO
Tel: 514-684-0200 x326