[STDS-802-16] site selection for Sessions #37 and #39

Dear 802.16ers,

As discussed at the previous session, we are scheduled to choose, at the Closing Plenary of Session #34, the venues for Sessions #37 (May 2005; most likely 9-12 May) and #39 (September 2005; most likely 12-15 September). In the past, we chose sites six months in advance. However, with the growth of the group, we are finding that more lead time would assist in securing the best location. Therefore, we are moving to ten months.

In preparation for these decisions, I have updated the IEEE 802.16 Interim Session Guidelines:
        http://ieee802.org/16/docs/04/80216-04_67.pdf
***There is an important new addition to the guidelines***. They now require each proposal to be accompanied by a checklist in which the proposer explicitly answers a number of critical questions that are required for the Working Group to make an informed decision. The guidelines include the checklist as well as a link to an editable Word version.

We welcome all proposals. At Session #34, we requested early indications of interest in hosting one of the available sessions. We received the following tentative offers:

Session #37 (May 2005):
 Beijing, China - Ning Zou (Intel) and CCSA TC5
 Taipei, Taiwan - Chang-Lung Hsiao (ITRI)
 Montreal, Canada - Jon Labs (Wavesat)
 Israel or nearby -  Naftali Chayat (Alvarion)
 Italy - Guilio Cavelli (Siemens Mobile Communications)
 Delhi, India - Aditya Agrawal (Beceem)

Session #39 (September 2005):
 Seoul, Korea - Panyuh Joo (Samsung)
 Italy - Guilio Cavelli (Siemens Mobile Communications)

We will carry out the site selection at the Closing Plenary, in accordance with the Guidelines. If you plan to make a proposal, please make sure that your checklist is available to the Working Group in advance of that meeting. You are welcome to submit additional informative materials if you like.

Regards,

Roger

--

Dr. Roger B. Marks  <mailto:marks@nist.gov> +1 303 497 7837
National Institute of Standards and Technology/Boulder, CO, USA