Re: [STDS-802-16] [NETMAN] What is "BS Sector Mac Address" role

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for this.
I can see the following problems with this approach:

A) The idea of BSID being the same as BS Mac Address is not present in
the standard (neither 802.16-2004 nor 802.16e). BS Mac Address is
mentioned only once in 802.16e in the context of Neighbor advertisement
message. The presence of both Neighor BSID and Neighbor Index, which
maps to BS Mac Address may suggest that BSID and Mac Address are
different. In any case the text is not clear about it.
B) Standard doesn't define any mechanism for guaranteeing uniqueness of
BSID (like naming the authority, which would allocates the numbers or at
least mandating global uniqueness), which disqualifies it as an
identifier used for x509 certificate.
C) Mac Address is allocated by manufacturer (Manufacturer code in most
significant bytes of the address) while BSID is assigned by operator
(Operator's ID in most significant bytes of the ID). In other words Mac
Address qualifies better to be a PhysAddress of ifTable and also
qualifies better to be used for certificate x509.

Can you comment on this, please?

Regards,
Krzysztof