Re: [STDS-802-16] [Fwd: [802SEC] 802.1 proposed PARs]

Title: RE: [STDS-802-16] [Fwd: [802SEC] 802.1 proposed PARs]

I believe Roger had previously forwarded this message, but I haven't seen any other traffic about it.

It's not really clear to me exactly what is being proposed in the second proposed PAR, P802.1AM, Standard for Local and Metropolitan Area Networks: Media Independent Radio Frequency (RF) Management of Wireless 802 Networks.  The stated scope and purpose are:

"13. Scope of Proposed Project:

This standard specifies protocols, procedures, and managed objects to support Radio Frequency (RF) management across IEEE 802 wireless Media Access Control (MAC) layers.

14. Purpose of Proposed Project:

There is currently no defined, common method for RF management or statistics reporting across IEEE 802 wireless MACs.  Each working group has created separate definitions for receive signal quality, transmit power, channel numbers, etc.  This effort provides enhancements for a consistent management service interface across all 802 wireless standards.

15. Reason for the Proposed Project:

There is a market need for RF management, given the widespread use of incompatible wireless 802 networks operating in the same frequencies.  The ability to control channel selection and adjust transmit power, or view RF characteristics in a consistent way does not exist today.  Common management and configuration algorithms are essential to the long term viability of a heterogeneous LAN."

The above strikes me as potentially having an impact on and perhaps, even, overlap with some of the work being done in 802.16g and 802.21.  While, strictly speaking we don't have to worry about this until the July meeting, I think it might be worthy of some discussion in Sorrento.

Brian

I am circulating two draft PARs/five criteria under the 30-day rule of the "Procedure for PARS" (P&P Clause 17). 802.1 will be requesting approval for these PARs to be forwarded to NesCom at the closing EC meeting in July.

P802.1AL, Secure Device Identity:

http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2005/new-borza-viega-secure-device-identity-par-0405.doc

http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2005/new-borza-viega-secure-device-identity-five-criteria-0405.doc

P802.1AM, Standard for Local and Metropolitan Area Networks: Media Independent Radio Frequency (RF) Management of Wireless 802 Networks:

http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2005/new-stefani-wireless-management-par-0405.doc

http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2005/new-stefani-wireless-management-five-criteria-0405.doc

Regards,

Tony

This email is sent from the 802 Executive Committee email reflector.  This list is maintained by Listserv.