Re: [STDS-802-16] Bandwidth Request-Grant

Hi Sanesh,

No problem - I would like to make only one request. When you post
asking questions, please include the mailing list also. Many others
may have the same question and definitely there are  more number of
people with different interpretations. Ultimately, you will gain (get
the correct answer) as well as the group (share the knowledge).

Admitted QoS set indicates the amount of bandwidth admitted for a
connection - active QoS set indicates the amount of bandwidth
activated for the connection. I can give an example to illustrate
this:
A customer signs up for a UGS connection with a minimum rate of 64
Kbps that can support two voice over IP calls (32 Kbps each)
The admitted set will indicate minimum reserved traffic rate of 64 Kbps
BS will reserve resources for 64 Kbps for this connection
The DSA creating this connection may indicate an active QoS set of 32
Kbps (one voice call only in progress)
This means that the BS can assign the 32 Kbps that was admitted but
not activated by this connection to other (RTPS, NRTPS and BE)
connections.
Now, at a later time, when the customer wishes to use the second voice
call, a DSC may be sent to activate the remaining 32 Kbps - such a DSC
is NOT expected to fail.

Basically, the admitted QoS set indicates the contract between the BS
and SS for a connection. The BS must be able to guarantee this
contract when the active set is made equal to the admitted set. The
active QoS set indicates how much of the admitted QoS set is being
actively used.

To answer your last question, the admitted and active sets need not be
the same - the only requirement is that the active set is a sub-set
(equal to is also a sub-set) of the admitted set. The above example
illustrates the two cases (admitted = 64 Kbps, active = 32 Kbps and
active = 64Kbps) where the active set is a sub-set of the admitted
set.

And, in addition, the admitted QoS set itself can be changed by a DSC
MAC management message - of course, BS can reject a change to the
admitted set if the resources are not available.

Cheers
Kalash