From: Pedro Neves [mailto:pneves@AV.IT.PT]
Sent: 19 December 2005 00:45
To: STDS-802-16@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [STDS-802-16] 802.16 multicast / broadcast support

Jeff Mandin wrote:

>Pedro,
>
>Where do you see that "DSA-REQ message requires the MAC address of the
>SS to which the service flow is going to be created"?   6.3.2.3.10
>describes DSA-REQ fields and does not include the SS MAC address.

Sorry for the mistake. In fact the SS MAC address is only used on the
MAC_CREATE_SERVICE_FLOW.request primitive sent by the CS layer to the
MAC layer. Then, as you said, the DSA-REQ message does not contain the
SS MAC address. But it contains an identifier of the SS to which the
reservation should be done - the SS's Primary Management CID in the
Generic MAC Header. If you look at section "/6.3.13 - Establishment of
multicast connections/", it describes the following: "/The BS may
establish a downlink multicast service by creating a connection with
each SS to be associated with the service. Any available traffic CID
value may be used for the service (i.e., there are no dedicated CIDs for
multicast transport connections). To ensure proper multicast operation,
the CID used for the service is the same for all SSs on the same channel
that participate in the connection./" It makes sense because if you do
not somehow specify the destination SS, how does the BS knows to whom
the reservation should be done? Please, let me know what I am doing /
thinking wrong on order to clarify my mind.

Thanks.

Pedro