Re: [STDS-802-16] destination address

Consider the CID to be a connection identifier equivalent to a particular Ethernet wire in an Ethernet network.

In that context read:

Thanks for your reply.I agree CID's are used for forwarding packets,but in MAC header we have only one CID field,is that CID indicates source CID or destination CID.”

As being

“Thanks for your reply.I agree Ethernet wires are used for forwarding packets,but carrying the packet we have only one wire , does that wire indicate the source port or destination port?”

So to answer case b, the CID doesn’t identify the source, it identifies both the transmitter and receiver (SS and BS). The BS will receive the packet because it has knowledge that it is one end of the connection with that CID and it forwards traffic based on the contents of the payload, not the CID. If the payload contains and 802.1 compliant header information (the Ethernet or 802.1 packet CSs) then it will use the mac address to have it routed through an 802.1 bridge or terminate it into an IP stack that will either route it or terminate it. If the payload contains just an IP packet (IP packet CS) then it will pass up into an IP stack.

Case a is misstated. At L1 we have a point to multipoint system, but at L2, we don’t have a point to multipoint system, we have multiple point to point connections. In all cases, the CID get the packet from SS to BS or BS to SS, but the payload contents determine the final destination of the packet.

This is different to 802.11, where the MAC address is used for directing the packet, hence there are 3 and 4 address packets so the sender and transmitter and receiver and destination can be distinguished.

I hope that helps.

DJ