[STDS-802-16] [802.16m][HARQ] Way Forward for HARQ Timing and Protocol

Title: [STDS-802-16] TGm Rapp Group documents

Dear All,

Following an extensive study and analysis of the advantages and disadvantages of the various HARQ timing and protocol schemes for the downlink and uplink and further considering the overall performance and complexity of the 802.16m system, we would like to propose a new option for the HARQ timing and protocol as the way forward.

Option 4: Asynchronous for downlink,  Synchronous for uplink

The new option is justified when the pros and cons of each scheme is separately investigated for the downlink and uplink. In the downlink, since the transmitter and scheduler are co-located at the BS, the benefit from flexible scheduling of retransmissions can be maximized. Therefore, the asynchronous HARQ is more advantageous in the downlink. However, the scheduler (BS) is apart from the transmitter (MS) in the uplink direction, consequently, the scheduling gain and flexibility from the asynchronous HARQ is less pronounced. In that case, the effect of signaling overhead would be more dominant on the system throughput. For this reason, the synchronous HARQ can be a better choice for the uplink.

In light of the above observation, we believe that the new option is the most reasonable and well justified approach for 802.16m, and we would like to ask the membership to carefully consider and support this option.

Thanks and Regards

Sassan Ahmadi and Jaeweon Cho

Intel Corporation and Samsung Electronics