[STDS-802-16] !!! upcoming withdrawal of 802.16/Conformance01 and 802.16/Conformance02

Dear 802.16 Reflector,

It has come to my attention that, unless we object, IEEE is preparing for the administrative withdrawal of two 802.16 conformance standards - 802.16/Conformance01 and 802.16/Conformance02. These standards are turning five year old, which is the normal age limit for a standard, unless it goes through the reaffirmation ballot process. The purpose of the reaffirmation ballot is to determine whether "the standard contains no significant obsolete or erroneous information and is useful in its current form."

Both of these standards pertain to the 10-66 GHz WirelessMAN-SC Air Interface. I am not currently aware of anyone using them. Both standards were developed by the Conformance Task Group, with Ken Stanwood as Chair and Carl Eklund as Technical Editor. Neither Ken nor Carl sees any harm in allowing these standards to be withdrawn. I personally don't perceive sufficient interest in these standards to justify a reaffirmation. Please let me know immediately if you have any concerns with their administrative withdrawal.

In a few months, two of our other standards will hit the five-year mark:

*IEEE Standard 802.16/Conformance03-2004: IEEE Standard for Conformance to IEEE 802.16 - Part 3: Radio Conformance Tests (RCT) for 10-66 GHz WirelessMAN-SC Air Interface  (approved 2004-05-12)

*IEEE Standard 802.16.2-2004: IEEE Recommended Practice for Local and Metropolitan Area Networks - Coexistence of Fixed Broadband Wireless Access Systems (approved 2004-02-09)

Please let me know if you would like to see either of these reaffirmed.

Roger

802.16-2001/Conformance01-2003 IEEE Standard for Conformance to IEEE Standard 802.16 - Part 1:
Protocol Implementation Conformance Statement (PICS) Proforma for 10-66 GHz WirelessMAN-SC Air
Interface
Recommendation: Administrative withdrawal.

802.16/Conformance02-2003 IEEE Standard for Conformance to IEEE Standard 802.16 - Part 2: Test
Suite Structure and Test Purposes (TSS&TP) for 10-66 GHz WirelessMAN-SC Air Interface
Recommendation: Administrative withdrawal.

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 13 November 2008 3:15:29 PM MST
Subject: 5-Year Maintenance List

Sponsor Chairs and Sponsor Representatives,

Attached is a current 5-year maintenance list that will be submitted to RevCom and the Standards Board. Please review the list and let me know if you want to request extensions or have other updates for any of your standards.

Standards for which no action is indicated will be submitted to the Standards Board for administrative withdrawal in accordance with the IEEE-SA Standards Board Operations Manual, clause 9:

"9. Maintenance of IEEE standards

Sponsors are required to undertake a maintenance action within five years of the date of a standard’s publication. Subsequent maintenance actions on active standards are required within five years of the IEEE-SA Standards Board approval date of the previous maintenance action. For standards with amendments or corrigenda, the maintenance schedule for all components of the standard is based on the schedule for the base document. Standards that meet the criteria for stabilization (see 1.2) can be transferred to the stabilized standards process, where the document is subject to the requirement of maintenance action every ten years.
A maintenance action on an active standard can be an approved PAR for revision; an initiated reaffirmation ballot; an initiated Sponsor withdrawal ballot; or a request to stabilize. If the Sponsor does not undertake a maintenance action by the end of a standard’s five-year maintenance cycle, or ten-year maintenance cycle for stabilization, the RevCom Administrator shall notify the Sponsor that the standard will be submitted to RevCom with a default recommendation of withdrawal. RevCom or the IEEE-SA Standards Board may decide to alter the default recommendation."

Best regards,

Moira Patterson
Administrator, Governance; IEEE-SA
445 Hoes Lane
Piscataway, NJ 08854
Phone: (732) 562-3809
Fax: (732) 796-6966
Email: m.patterson@ieee.org

IEEE. Fostering technological innovation and excellence for the benefit of humanity.