[STDS-802-16] Candidacy Announcemnt

Dear IEEE 802.16 WG chair and all IEEE 802.16 members,

I am pleased announce my candidacy for IEEE 802.16 Vice Chair.

Jose’s work deserves our appreciation especially for his efforts to IEEE 802.16m. We would like to agree that he helped us resolve many controversial issues and make us step through many difficulties. Of course, we can not forget his Intel colleagues. In my point of view, it would be a miracle to see the outcome of IEEE 802.16m but miracle almost happens at this moment. Thanks Jose!!

During the downturn of the IEEE 802.16, I would like to follow Jose’s step to contribute my efforts to IEEE 802.16 community. In the later stage, the main works will shift from standard to testing case, marketing, promotion, etc. If we are not only satisfied with the outcome of IEEE 802.16m but more success, we should consider to leverage outside resources. Maintenance would be very important to IEEE 802.16m. As I know, 3GPP R99 also took two years to fix their bugs. IEEE 802.16m will face the same situation. If no experts come in, the time will be longer for the stable IEEE 802.16m product. Luckily, due to IEEE 802.16e’s experience, we avoided some mistakes in advance and will see the product of IEEE 802.16m sooner. Procedure may have to be considered as well. Remember Jose try to refine our project scope smaller as 3GPP and the outcome of standard can be sooner as 3GPP. This movement deserves our consideration to enhance IEEE 802.16 competitiveness. Of course, some other extension shall be considered as well like co-working with our friend organization, WiMAX Forum, to bring out a competitive product to our big end user, operator. Actually, these operators need our help to make money. Don’t let them wait!! As my connection to Taiwan operators, they really have concerns on WiMAX product.

In my point of view, IEEE 802.16e is the first commercial proven OFDM technology including business model, e.g. Yota with 9 USD ARPU. Low chip and base station prices make this possible. Light network architecture reduces their maintenance cost as well. Thanks for our partner organization WiMAX Forum NWG. By the way, as I know, 3G operator still can not break even now, it has been more than 10 years. The success of Yota is really a miracle to communication society. For 4G market, IEEE 802.16 would be on the right trend. Money talks!! Therefore I guess that WiMAX loses his market share to the end because we can not provide in-time and stable product to our end users. I believe many people complaint IEEE 802.16 standard but WiMAX has provided revenue to some operators. Even in Taiwan, we think WiMAX can be a survival model for 4G red sea competition. 4G competition is too bloody!!

I would like to raise my concerns and expectation during the Vice Chair campaign. As an IEEE 802.16 member, I shall consider how to enrich IEEE 802.16 community. Help IEEE 802.16, help us. As Lei said, everyone who contributes in IEEE 802.16 is promoted. Jose is good example to us. I hope all of us are promoted in the future no matter for whom wins the Vice Chair. I would also like to say Congratulation to Jose again. Congratulations!! Don’t forget us if you are more successful.

Best regards,

Zheng Yan-Xiu

本信件可能包含工研院機密資訊,非指定之收件者,請勿使用或揭露本信件內容,並請銷毀此信件。
This email may contain confidential information. Please do not use or disclose it in any way and delete it if you are not the intended recipient.