From: Hoang Anh Tuan [mailto:athoang@I2R.A-STAR.EDU.SG]
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2011 12:42 AM
To: STDS-802-16@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [STDS-802-16] [802.16n][MM][MultiMode] Discussion on Relay Function for HR-BS for OFDMA Air Interface

Dear Alina,

Thank you for initiating the discussion. I think we may not want to work directly on the proposed text, as it will be difficult to manage if different people want to modify the same text in different ways. Rather, I propose that we focus on underlying technical elements of the topic. For multi-mode, we may need to collect opinions on:

- What are the trigger conditions of mode changes, and who can initiate the changes?

[ekkim] condition may be issues of implementation. However, following is reasonable condition, I think.

-          When backhaul is unavailable temporally or some specific time (which is the condition for HR-BS acting as HR-RS)

-          When there is no infrastructure station (which is for HR-MS acting as HR-BS)

-          When it is needed to relay some data between stations (which is for HR-MS acting as HR-RS)

- What is a mode change anyway? Is it a clean switch between two (BS/RS/MS) roles or a station can perform a combined/dual role?

[ekkim] we need to define the topologies at first. However, HR-MS acting as HR-RS/HR-BS has to maintain MS and RS/BS functionalities at the same time.

- What are the supported topologies after a mode change, assuming 16e or 16m baselines?

[ekkim] What I think the backward compatibility is the main concern. Thus, even the role changes, the topology should be a line of 16e or 16m.

- What are the steps taken during/after a mode change?

[ekkim] HR-BS or HR-MS acting as HR-RS is a little clear relatively comparing with HR-MS acting as HR-BS.

Following is the expected steps for mode change to relay station.

Step1. Informs subordinate stations that  mode change starts

Step2. Establishes relay link including configuration

Step3. Informs explicitly or implicitly subordinate stations that mode change is done

In addition, HR-MS acting as HR-BS may start BS operation by itself when any base station is not detected. Any other condition is FFS.

- Should mode change always be regarded as temporary? and if that is the case, what is the time scale, in comparison to that of a MS connection?

[ekkim] I don’t catch what you mean.

That is just my opinion, and I am open to other approaches.

Very sorry for the plain text message as I have difficulty in sending HTML mail through Outlook Web Access. I am trying to fix this.

[ekkim] Thanks and I am looking forward to fixing it asap. :)

Best regards,

Anh Tuan