Sent: Friday, April 13, 2001 5:29 AM
Subject: RE: [RPRWG] Additional comments on preemption, cut-through and store-and-forward

Jumbo frames which are only 9K at 10 Gig will only give you 7.2 micrsecond delay/per node. With 32 nodes this is only 230.4 Microsecond delay.

at 2.5 gig it is approximately 1Ms

at 40Gig it is only 57 microseconds.

For 100msec latency budget, with 50msec consumed by the circumfrence of earth, we still got 50ms of switching latency. What is a big deal in saving few micro seconds in RPR rings.

Real latency we should consider is the queueing latency in rest of the network for voice applications. Class based queueing
with voice class scheduled first is the solution.

-Sanjay