Sent: Friday, May 04, 2001 11:43 AM
Subject: RE: [RPRWG] More comments on preemption

Hi William,

If we use 2 cos bits than we have 4 classes. Might as well introduce best effort class that provides not guarantees. Best effort traffic will fill spaces in the unused link bandwidth.

We could have 3 classes of service out of which only 4 are defined and rest are there for future extentions.

Also, wouldn't reassembly at the destination RPR mac would be big task. You have no idea how many outstanding preempted mac fragments there are. Multiple nodes could be sending preempted packets from two directions of the ring to a destination node. I think the of job fragmentation and reassembly in the RPR mac chip will be difficult.

-Sanjay K. Agrawal
Luminous Networks