Re: [RPRWG] Objective classification spreadsheet

All, we now have a very good idea of which companies are lining up on which sides of the motions that have been forwarded, but not voted on, or not passed.  I strongly encourage each of you that has a strong position on these motions to work together with those opposed to your point of view, for the purpose of reviewing the motions, removing implementation dependent portions of them, and then finding wording that we all can work toward.  Although there will still be some unsettled issues, we can eliminate most of the controversy on objectives if there is significant one-on-one discussions directly between companies prior to the July meeting.  As you each do your own "gap analysis" of the areas of the standard still not addressed by proposed objectives, think through the objectives that are needed and work with the companies you believe will most likely oppose your position.  Many of these new areas should be resolved before we arrive in Portland.

There is a huge amount of work to do to create the 802.17 standard.  We cannot afford to have the July meeting consumed with sorting through objectives.  That meeting needs to be devoted to quick approval of most of the new and now reworded objectives, discussion and voting on the remaining few, and then reviewing and discussiong contributions for straw-men sections of the standard.  Some of those straw-men will be just the skeleton.  Others will include substantial meat on the bones.

There will likely be some new presentations and new ideas presented at the July meeting.  There may be trechnical analysis presented to help choose between competing approaches.  These presentations are welcome and are needed.  I expect that these presentations will come without the need for undue persuasion.  However, if you want to make a real contribution to moving the standard forward, start writing the standard!  Write whatever section you have the skills and interest to contribute to, and announce to the reflector that you are doing so.  I have focused my remarks on the task of drafting sections of the standard, because that is the easiest job to get lost in the flurry of presentations that back one position or another.

Let's make the Portland meeting a huge success.  Start preparing for it now.

Best regards,

Robert D. Love
Chair, Resilient Packet Ring Alliance
President, LAN Connect Consultants
7105 Leveret Circle     Raleigh, NC 27615
Phone: 919 848-6773       Mobile: 919 810-7816
email: rdlove@xxxxxxxx          Fax: 720 222-0900