[RPRWG] RPR Perf: request from T&D Committee for performance terms

To members of the Performance Committee:

At the last meeting, the Terms and Definitions Ad Hoc did not agree on performance and fairness related terms.  After consulting with Khaled, we are turning to the Performance Committee for help (aka. passing the buck).

The T&D committee did identify some terms that were likely to appear in the standard:  egress queue delay, frame transmission time, global fairness, ingress queue delay, local fairness, medium access delay, passthru (or transit) delay, passthru (or transit) buffer delay, propagation delay, ring end-to-end delay, ring latency, station passthru (transit) delay.  Harmen suggested that link fairness is also an important term to include.  Can I ask someone from the performance committee to post a proposal?  I don't think this needs to be a long list, and it can include items from previous proposals.  We are looking for terms that are actively in use in performance discussions and/or are likely to appear in the standard.

Harmen's list, posted at http://www.ieee802.org/17/documents/presentations/may2001/hva_term_01.doc includes many of these terms, but I don't know if there is general agreement on the associated definitions.  Revision 4 of the T&D document, posted at http://www.ieee802.org/17/documents/presentations/jul2001/bs_terms_04.pdf, also contains many of these terms with alternative definitions.  See the sections titled Delay and Latency (page 12), Fairness (page 13) and Rate Control (page 14).

Thanks,
Bob