From: Siamack Ayandeh [mailto:sayandeh@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2001 10:58 AM
To: Harmen van As
Cc: stds-802-17@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RPRWG] Merits of Open Loop
Harmen,

Please see my comments below.  Thanks for the interest.

Regards, Siamack

Harmen van As wrote:

Dear SiamackIt would be necessary to back off your statements on the merits andperformance of Open Loop with simulations.

> My statements are based on the protocol flow charts & simulation of congestion avoidance algorithms conducted so far.  Please see slide #5 for the list of references.
[Adisak Mekkittikul] which simulation? has anyone compared TCP fairness

performance (fairness index) with DPT, iPT, etc. Has anyone shown how SLA

can be met relying on TCP end-end flow control?

>> [Siamack] As you may recall from my original email, my slides are for input to the simulation work that is going on by various people.  One baseline comparison can be with congestion avoidance algorithm on or off (i.e. TCP only, TCP + WRED etc.).  In general it makes a lot of sense to have an admin on/off switch for the CA algorithms and leave it to the service provider to decide how to configure the network.

The goal of MAC protocolsis also to achieve fairness among iinterfering nodes, not merely congestioncontrol.

> It would be helpful to have a concise description of this goal, what is fairness in this context, and  what interference you have in mind.  I have shown that CA algorithms covered can introduce HOL blocking which is a form of interference. Open loop congestion controls do not do this.
[Adisak Mekkittikul] What are you smoking, As recent as this July meeting, I

presented how to eliminate HoL blocking completely with VOQ.

The goal is stated clearly "to achieve fair (weighted/equal) access to the ring"

[Siamack]  Adisak I do not smoke. Your July presentation had the quiz which you have not solved. That is the host throttling scenario. Other congestion avoidance algorithms which do not maintain global state may suffer from station throttling.  So hopefully folks would show how their algorithms would perform.  What ever algorithm is short listed by the working group would have to be rigorously tested via simulations and my presentation contains some scenarios that the WG may want to adapt for these tests.
                The goal of fairness in this context is equal access to excess bandwidth on the ring. NOT
just access to the ring which can be achieved through provisioning with no per station global state. IMHO maintaining per station global state is too complex given the value that it adds to the protocol.  Latter is weighed fair access to excess bandwidth which by definition is not provisioned and is best effort.

  The first two statements on CA mechanisms is certainly not true at all.

> Again the references in slide #5, & existing simulations show that the weighted fairness algorithms are only targetting the low priority class i.e. C' portion of the ring bandwidth (C'= C-a ).  This is what I call static partitioning.
[Adisak Mekkittikul] You are quoting things out of context again. In SLA based

network, there is no such thing as a high priority traffic take away a committed

bandwidth of low priority traffic.

I suggest that we separate SLA based networks from the Internet of today.

However, I'm not saying that all RPR vendors must build SLA capable equipment.

Choice is up to each vendor. 802.17 MAC shall allow such implementation.

    [Siamack]  Talk of out of context, I am not sure what you are talking about.  You seem to be going on a tangent here.  I am not aware of any SLA specifications in RPR WG.  The proposals on the table discuss traffic classes.  There are some SLA specifications from IETF DiffServ effort, but of course you want to keep away from Internet you say.

>The delay bound that I have in mind is due to the high priority traffic class only. i.e. the ring access delay of the high priority traffic is only due to high priority traffic on the ring. In some CA schemes and under certain conditions described in the slides, the low priority traffic is interfering with this bound. i.e. low priority ring traffic is scheduled ahead of high priority acess.
[Adisak Mekkittikul] Siamack, some parts of implementation are within the scope of the MAC, some are outside (system issues). For example a line card designer

might decide to implement multiple queues on his/her linecard to distribute access delay to delay insensitive traffic. The list goes on and on

You need to differentiate BW guarantee and delay guarantee. These are part of SLA  parameters

[Siamack]  Look Adisak, my question is a simple one.  Does high priority add traffic waits for the low priority transit packets to go through or not?

>Of course if one is patient enough even best effort traffic would eventullay make it through.  So we have to be careful that we are on the same page with respect to delay bounds.
[Adisak Mekkittikul] You don't understand TCP. Long delay can actually degrade TCP performance. It'll slow down TCP rampup time (i.e, low throughput).

If we are talking about 56Kbps, it's not a problem. But think about the future that RPR will bring 10/100 Mbps or even 1G.

[Siamack]  I was describing my definition of delay bound.  TCP's behavior with respect to round trip delays etc. is well understood.  High priority traffic should be treated so both in transit and at add points to the ring. This would result in bounds that can be calculated & controlled. If there is interference from low priority ring traffic the problem becomes harder.

 We will show that by two protocols having different degrees of sophistication.Seems to become an interesting and lively September meeting in San Jose.
[Adisak Mekkittikul] I think this will be educational of most of us including me.

> Looking forward to it.
[Adisak Mekkittikul] BTW, IEEE 802 standard does not support only TCP/IP

An IEEE 802.xx frame has to carry other types of protocol PDU too!

Here goes your "open loop" (aka end-to-end closed loop) fairness.

[Siamack] 85% of Internet traffic is measured to be TCP. It makes engineering sense to take this into consideration in the design. I also recommend the admin. on/off switch. By the way what are these other pdu types that you have in mind.  Do you have any measurements of what the traffic mix is?

Best regardsHarmen------------------------------------------------------------------
Prof.Dr. Harmen R. van As       Institute of Communication Networks
Head of Institute                      Vienna University of Technology
Tel  +43-1-58801-38800           Favoritenstrasse 9/388
Fax  +43-1-58801-38898          A-1040 Vienna, Austria
http://www.ikn.tuwien.ac.at      email: Harmen.R.van-As@xxxxxxxxxxxx
------------------------------------------------------------------ORIGINAL MESSAGETo: stds-802-17@xxxxxxxx
     Subject: [RPRWG] Merits of Open Loop
     From: Siamack Ayandeh <sayandeh@xxxxxxxxxx>
     Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 11:01:39 -0400
     CC: sayandeh@xxxxxxxxxx
     Sender: owner-stds-802-17@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Folks, As some people are busy doing simulations and writing proposals for the
San Jose meeting, I am posting this presentation early on the
reflector.  It describes the merits of open loop congestion controls and
may impact some of the simulation scenarios that would be presented.
The main conclusions of the document are that: - Congestion avoidance algorithms may lead to static partitioning of the
ring bandwidth between high and low priority traffic
- With CA it may not be possible to bound the ring access delay of high
priority traffic
- Open loop does not suffer from HOL blocking
- Open loop has relatively low configuration and operational complexity
- Open loop is not prone to tuning issues, or link aggregation, etc... Regards, Siamack
begin:vcard
n:Ayandeh;Siamack
tel;fax:781 271 9988
tel;work:781 276 4192
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.onexco.com
org:Onex Communications Corporation
adr:;;34 Crosby Drive;Bedford;MA;01730;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:sayandeh@xxxxxxxxxx
title:Senior Consulting Engineer
end:vcard