RE: [RPRWG] RPR and WDM topology discovery

Also related is working that is going on in T1.X1 regarding link concatenation, in other words taking a 40gb physical interface and spreading the frames over 4x10gb lambdas.  It would probably be good for the group to ask the folks from T1X1 to present what is being worked on to date?

At 04:37 PM 8/7/2001 -0400, Vish Nandlall wrote:
see below

Vish Nandlall

Nortel Networks

ESN 393-1350
External (613) 763-1350
vnandlal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-----Original Message-----
From: B J Lee [mailto:bjlee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2001 3:57 PM
To: Nandlall, Vish [CAR:KCQ0:EXCH]; stds-802-17
Subject: RE: [RPRWG] RPR and WDM topology discovery

I do not think we identifed such a requirement so far, if I understand your question correctly.
Do you mean that a RPR node supports multiple rings on different wavelengths including
bypasses, acting as an interconnection attachment?
[Nandlall, Vish [CAR:SB06:EXCH]]

I didn't necessarily mean multiple rings supported on one RPR node (although it could be), I was thinking multiple RPR rings running on the same physical plant. One RPR node would terminate and source a wavelength dedicated to its ring, and optically bypass all other wavelengths. In this scenario, it would be difficult to sectionalize a fault if the nearest physical adjacent node was on a different wavelength.

It would be appreciated if you could clarify more on
 "will RPR only connect as a client to an existing DWDM network and rely on whatever
  existing transport mechanism is in place?"
[Nandlall, Vish [CAR:SB06:EXCH]]
 I was referring to a configuration whereby the RPR node subtended an OADM box to access a wavelength in a DWDM ring (which in turn would provide connectivity to other RPR nodes hanging off upstream/downstream OADMs on the same wavelength). Multiple RPR rings could then be realized using the same physical ring structure. This would obviously require the development of a new client interface on the OADM to interface the RPR.

BJ