From: Paul Obeda [mailto:pobeda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2001 10:40 AM
To: stds-802-17
Cc: bjlee; Nandlall, Vish [CAR:KCQ0:EXCH]
Subject: FW: [RPRWG] RPR and WDM topology discovery

Greetings,

I'm going to try to reset the context for the question here; if I get that right (or close), then we can retry the underlying question.

As I read it, the question addresses the relationship between the 802.17 MAC and a particular underlying PHY.  In this particular case, I believe that the hypothetical stack is RPR MAC (native) over WDM physical layer, with limited OAM capabilities (particuarly for fault sectionalization) in that WDM system.

To try to set the context further, I'd like to consider (just for a moment) a few alternative hypothetical PHYs.

Let's start with a RPR which happens to use SONET payload formating, but doesn't make use of any of the SONET overheads.  This particular ring doesn't interact with any other SONET gear, and the entire infrastructure it uses is dedicated to that RPR.

Next, let's consider an RPR which exists within a SONET ring, as a closed cascade of bidirectional SONET Paths.  The RPR functionality is (probably?) the same, but the underlying PHY provides a different set of OAM capabilities to the network.

We can even consider having multiple independent RPRs on that same SONET gear, if we'd like.

Then we can consider multiple SONET subnetworks operating independently over a WDM infrastructure, without any integration between the SONET and WDM layers.  These SONET subnetworks could contain one or more RPRs each (as above), each of which is oblivious to the fact that the WDM infrastructure underneath them is helping them share fiber.

If we'd like, we can also consider other layers (such as the Optical Transport Network being pursued by ITU-T SG 15) as either present or absent from the stack.

Really, any of those (or other) physical layer technologies may be present or absent underneath the RPR.

If this is the correct context for the question, then I believe the question becomes one of asking what the division-of-responsibilities is / should be between the 802.17 MAC and any underlying PHY, and futher, what (if any) signaling mechanisms must exist between the MAC and the PHY.

This issue probably deserves 802.17 consideration as part of the OAM&P work.  Any comment?

Regards,

Paul Obeda