Re: [RPRWG] IEEE 802.17 Balloting Instructions

Bob Castellano brings up some good questions that everyone ought to know the answers to, and probably does if they have been involved in IEEE 802 for 10 or more years.

For those of you that have not mis-spent your last 10 years, here are the answers:

All NO votes must be based on issues brought up during the balloting period.  If all issues that have caused a voter to issue a NO vote have been addressed to that voter's satisfaction, then the voter no longer has a valid NO vote.  However, the voter must state that the issues have been resolved before his no vote is converted.

There is no requirement for the working group to address issues brought up after the ballot period closes.  Note, however, that in the process of resolving comments, additional errors in the standard are often uncovered by the ballot resolution group / editors.  In IEEE 802.5 we had a separate category for new issues that were uncovered during ballot resolution and the working group always worked to resolve these issues, although they were not associated with NO votes.

If a commenter votes NO without providing specific changes for converting that NO vote, then the NO vote may be declared invalid and thrown out.

Balloters may not register NO votes based on issues uncovered after the ballot has closed.  However, it is acceptable to change your vote to a NO during a recirculation ballot based on information learned from reading the other comments, and / or based on changes made to the draft to resolve issues.  This capability is what drives the rules for recirculation ballots.

The working group can decide to address new issues not uncovered during the voting or ballot resolution process, but is under no obligation to do so.  They are, however, leaving the draft subject to being rejected by voters during the LMSC ballot.  Therefore, concerns with the standard are normally addressed fully prior to LMSC balloting.

Best regards,

Robert D. Love
Chair, Resilient Packet Ring Alliance
President, LAN Connect Consultants
7105 Leveret Circle     Raleigh, NC 27615