[RPRWG] Contributions requirements

All,

While I understand the need to generate documents
quickly, but a couple of points would be helpful when
reviewing them:

  1) At the beginning of the document should be a
     clear statement of where comments should be
     returned (typically the author's address,
     email, and phone).
  2) Standard formats for packets, frames, and other
     data components. I would REALLY like to see
     everything drawn 32-bits wide, with tick marks
     under the bits. Its hard to visualize things
     otherwise (and inefficient to have all the
     readers draw such illustrations, visually or
     physically).

This is from my initial prescan of the proposed
documents...

One of the reasons for requesting (2) is that
it illustrates funniness in proposals, such as
missaligned or inconsistently aligned values.

The masters of disguise in this arena were DEC,
who used stacked 2-byte wide illustrations to
hide their rather unique "1,0,3,2" ordering of
bytes within 4-byte integers and floating point.
They hid this well from their customers, which
is something I don't think we want to repeat...

DVJ

David V. James, PhD
Chief Architect
Network Processing Solutions