[RPRWG] Comparison with Optical Switching etc.

Folks,
  Just trying to get over some basic doubts.
  I understand that one of the goals of RPR is to replace SONET.

  But,why is it not possible to build a more intelligent mesh using Optical switching rather than using complex ring management etc., esp. when the bandwidth is going to be cheap and the optical switching gears are already shipping?
  With optical switching, the transport services will look more like SONET and hence the applications around it wouldn't have to change, e.g., the routers at the edge will treat each pipe as a point to point link and provide multicasting internally rather than relying on the underlying transport mechanism to do the same.
  Also, since the optical network can be configured to be a (partial) mesh, there can be more than 2 paths to a destination leading to a more robust network. (I am sure most may say that RPR will provide a better utilization of the bandwidth, but my point is that if we are talking about core metro network, the edge nodes will have tons of data to send and stat muxing at this level may not be that easy to comprehend)

  Is there a place where such aspects are discussed & resolved? I just want to understand if RPR will be in the core or at the edge replacing only the first mile SONET. Any pointers will be highly appreciated.

I am also assuming that for the SONET replacement cases, logical tunnels (bandwidth/QoS, src.,dst. address establishement) between various RPR nodes will most likely be created in advance to carry traffic between the various transport users (Routers etc.). One way is to run IP directly over the underlying RPR at the transport level & then tunnel over IP rather than over RPR. This way many of the existing applications can be leveraged.

Balaji.

Srinivasan Balaji
732-345-6231
http://www.globespanvirata.com

"This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any unauthorized review, use or distribution by others is strictly prohibited.  If you have received the message in error, please advise the sender by reply email @globespanvirata.com, and delete the message. Thank you."