RE: [RPRWG] RAH: Re: Minutes of Rate Ad Hoc meeting

John and others,

Maybe I should restate my views about configuration (by a user) Vs.
basic operation of a standard compliant devices.

I believe (but am not sure) that we essentially say almost the same,
where we might differ is the specifics of which points in the standard
should be directly open to user configuration. (As a side note: There is
a significant difference between options in the standard which allow
different vendors to implement different flavors of a given standard,
and flexibility in a standard which requires all vendors to support all
options and require a user interface to control these options).

I fully agree that the ring properties such as how much BW is allocated
to lossless, minimal jitter traffic (i.e. HP) Vs MP Vs LP, or how much
over subscription is allowed, etc. should be left to user specification
and the standard should not dictate this. I would think that such
configurations should better be left to the product themselves and not
be incorporated in the standard itself (because, for one, they are
tightly connected to size of buffers).

Having said that, I think that a standard should put some stake in the
ground English?) and not leave everything open. In this particular case,
I believe that all these behavioral parameters should be implemented in
the ingress points to the ring via policers/shapers and not by relying
on degree of loss on the wire itself. There we must have some consistent
model of behavior which will allow us to build all the other
specification, otherwise it's all become very open and fluid. I'm also
puzzled by how one would reason about such a ring. That is how can one
factor in the possibility of losing a packet in transit in some very low
probability and under very specific condition, in the overall parameters
of admittance to the ring?

Furthermore, if a user traffic is rejected at the ingress point, the
user gets an immediate feedback. Assuming such a feedback is useful, how
would a network do it if a given packet was dropped not at the ingress
but rather somewhere on the ring, say on the 5th node in a 10-node path.

Again, I hope that I've managed to clarify my views, but I am not sure
if we "violently agree" or still have some differences.

Offer Pazy

Burlington, MA