Sent: Friday, June 21, 2002 2:19 PM
Subject: RE: [RPRWG] control TTL (the 255-station and 2000-km issue)

I may want to tell the packet to travel on the opposite ring due to traffic considerations, or other considerations, instead of shortest hop.

There is a potential that the ttl will not be decremented. And travel the ring continuously.

Possible rule could be if the ring is in wrap mode, instead of steering, and the packet is in the wrong ring direction then don't decrement the ttl.

Alternate option is for the "edge" nodes to decrement. I define the edge node to be the node where the wrapping occurs. This will also allow for packets to discarded for unreachable destinations.

Joe