RE: [RPRWG] control TTL (the 255-station and 2000-km issue)

Mike,

I was trying to say that when a node "unwraps" due
to the ring healing, it can't throw away packets
forever because the ring might wrap at some other
place making it valid for this node to see packets
with the wrap bit set.  Therefore a node would have
to set some kind of timer (on the order of RTT) and
only throw away packets for that duration.

The above discussion was trying to solve the problem
where all nodes do not know about protection events;
only those adjacent to the fault do.  If all nodes do
know about protection events, the solution you mention
should work, but it does need to be documented in the
spec.

[Off topic discussion]
To me, it seemed like the main argument for doing wrapping
is that only nodes adjacent to the fault need to know about
it and react to it.  If all nodes do need to know about
a protection event, then it it probably more efficient
for them to use steering.

-Anoop