From: Blakey, Sam [mailto:Sam.Blakey@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 11:10 AM
To: 'stds-802-17@xxxxxxxx'
Subject: [RPRWG] Promiscuous mode

Hi,

At the last meeting submitted a comment to include promiscuous mode in the state table governing frame reception. The reply to the comment was that Ethernet (802.3) only has promiscuous mode in the MIB. Now that I look more carefully, in the frame reception normative clause (5.2.4.3 Receive variables and procedures) there is a condition that checks promiscuous mode and determines whether to receive a frame depending on whether in this mode. So, if we're taking 802.3 as a guideline for the required contents for promiscuous mode, although there is no actual description of the mode as a subclause needed, it should be included in the frame reception logic (as per comment submitted).

Opinions?

Thanks,
Sam

Sam Blakey