Re: [RPRWG] RE: [LinkSec] Fwd: Re: IESG question on Ethernet relatedto-be-RFC

Dan,

Romascanu, Dan (Dan) wrote:
> By the time the 'separate identity' criteria was discussed wrt.
> IEEE 802.17, the issue of being capable of connecting internet
> bridges in a ring and providing 'SONET-like' protection capabilities
> was mentioned. I think that this protocol proposal is an illustration
> of how this can be done. To the question asked by the IETF folks,
> IMO there is no work in the IEEE 802 on such a protection scheme
> for bridges with Ethernet interfaces. 802.17 took a different path
> by defining a MAC of its own, with a much richer functionality. If
> there is any place doing a somehow similar kind of work, this may
> be the MEF.

Given that MEF is not an SDO, I do not think this is the right place
for this work. The only correct place for this work would be 802.1.
As to the need for such work given RSTP (and Mick's response)
I see an issue with successfully launching the work.

Therefore, given that 802 is the right place for this sort of work,
I would encourage the IETF not to publish this RFC due to overlap
and confusion in the marketplace.

mike

--
Michael Takefman              tak@xxxxxxxxx
Manager of Engineering,       Cisco Systems