RE: [LinkSec] Fwd: Re: IESG question on Ethernet related to-be-RFC

By the time the 'separate identity' criteria was discussed wrt. IEEE 802.17, the issue of being capable of connecting internet bridges in a ring and providing 'SONET-like' protection capabilities was mentioned. I think that this protocol proposal is an illustration of how this can be done. To the question asked by the IETF folks, IMO there is no work in the IEEE 802 on such a protection scheme for bridges with Ethernet interfaces. 802.17 took a different path by defining a MAC of its own, with a much richer functionality. If there is any place doing a somehow similar kind of work, this may be the MEF.

However, two issues draw my attention:
- the use of a 'Control VLAN' - which is a VLAN with special semantics. I assume all bridges in the ring should be synchronized to the same Control VLAN ID, but no mechanism is specified for this purpose (dare I say LLDP can be used for this purpose?).
- the 'Security Considerations' section mentions 'existing IEEE standards for link-layer encryption' - well this may be not that stable with the current status of the LinkSec SG work.

Until these two issues are clarified and specified, I think that interoperability based on this proposed protocol will be limited at best.

Regards,

Dan