Re: [RPRWG] Rough outline of PAR for the RPR on the backplane

David,

speaking for myself and no one else. I urge all
other RPRWG members and watchers to pipe up if
they have anything to add.

The scope and purpose appear to me to be
acceptably narrow so that this work would not
fall into area's that I would want to do in
dot17. I cannot speak for the 802.3 backplane
people and your references into their work
that was mentioned in the scope.

Politically, I still have reservations about
calling it RPRoBackplane. Taking the ideas
from RPR and building a new backplane protocol
around them but calling it "DVJBus" would be
my preference. I see no need "reference" the
RPR payload after the HEC since it is just
octets followed by a CRC-32. Have you considered
CRC-64 to improve the robustness? :-) Given
that the header is going to be different,
won't you be using 64 bit OUIs? This is
begining to look more and more different from
RPR as to make a reference silly.

Another area that I might look at (since I used
to do fault tolerant computing) would be the
use of redundant memory banks and extensions
in the protocol to make that kind of operation
more efficient.

What if any requirement does MSC have for
broad interest (# of individuals, # of companies)
in order to start a study group and eventually
approve the PAR.

cheers,

mike

--
Michael Takefman              tak@xxxxxxxxx
Distinguished Engineer,       Cisco Systems