[RPRWG] Rough outline of PAR for the RPR on the backplane

Mike,

As per last P802.17 WG meeting, we concluded that
RPR on the backplane PAR should be provided for comment,
one week before the MSC meeting.

I'm a bit tired, so this is not as good as it should be.
Feel free to refine, wordsmith, revise, etc. based on
suggestions. While the MSC meeting is next Monday night,
inputs would be most valuable if received before Sunday PM.

Scope:
Provide a network-based backplane interconnect, based on
the ring topology and baseline protocols of P802.17 RPR,
while retaining the RPR payload (after HEC) format and
function. While this is not an amendment of P802.17 RPR,
large portions of that standard will most likely be
included by reference.

Extensions for the short-latency environment include
destination-based flow control, hardware-based fault-retry,
time-of-day synchronization, synchronous data transfers,
and standardized direct-to-memory {read, write, and
read-modify-write} operations.

While the standard will include the definition low-power
short-distance PHYs, these may be included in the standard
by reference to existing and/or active standards.

Purpose:
To simplify and supplement the baseline RPR capabilities
to facilitate their adoption in the backplane (or collection
of nearby backplanes) environment.

Coordination:
 Sync-Ethernet (when approved)
   through exchange of drafts