8021.11n (forwarded)

Hi all,

Here are some thoughts on how to start developing a set of usage models for
802.11n.

The definition of a usage model and its purpose as accepted by the
participants in the June 17 teleconference are as follows:

1. Usage Model - a detailed model of expected realistic deployments and
applications of 802.11n devices and networks.
2. Purpose - the purpose of the usage models is to provide a basis for the
development of functional requirements and comparison criteria for
proposals to the HTSG.

As the definition implies, a usage model is made up of two parts, namely
* a deployment environment, and
* a set of applications typically associated with the particular deployment
environment.

As a first step in the process of defining a simple but adequately
realistic set of usage models, I thought it would be useful to separately
list all deployment environments and applications that have been mentioned
during our discussions so far (plus some that perhaps haven't been mentioned).

The next steps would be:
* Map applications to deployment environments (channel and interference
models for each environment to be developed by the channel modeling special
committee)
* Develop detailed specifications for each application, e.g., traffic type,
data rate, packet size, arrival model, load, delay requirements, etc.
* Derive requirements for the technology from the combination of deployment
environments and application requirements

Of course, we will have to narrow the long list of possible environments
and applications down to a manageable number of combinations, but rather
than deciding on that number up front, let us first see how many distinctly
different environments and applications we are faced with. In making the
following two lists, I took the liberty of borrowing from earlier
presentations given to the HTSG by Adrian Stephens and Javier del Prado.

Deployment environments

1. Residential:
* Intra-room communications
* Room-to-room communications
* Indoor-to-outdoor (e.g., for using a lap-top/TV on the patio, etc.)

2. Enterprise:
* Enclosed offices
* Sea of cubicles
* Meeting room
* Large factory floor
* Hospital
* Warehouse
* Classroom/lecture hall
* Campus (i.e., indoor-to-outdoor as well as outdoor access point for
outdoor users)

3. Hot spot:
* Airport
* Library
* Convention center
* Hotel
* Shopping mall
* Train station/bus terminal
* Drive-in windows
* Sports stadium/concert hall
* City square (e.g., Verizon's plans for adding hot spots to Manhattan
phone booths)
* Public park

4. "Wireless cable":
* Residential neighborhood (e.g., TV/phone/Internet connection via pole-top
access points)

5. Mobility:
* Hot spots on trains, buses, air planes
* Curb-to-car communications
* Car-to-car communications

Applications

1. Video:
* SDTV
* HDTV
* Video conferencing
* Internet video streaming

2. Voice/audio:
* Wireless VoIP
* Audio/music (Hi-fi stereo and multichannel - 5.1, 7.1 etc)
* MP3/AAC audio

3. Data:
* Web browsing/content downloading
* E-mail
* E-commerce transactions
* Instant messaging/chat
* File backup
* File server
* Interactive gaming
* Telemetry

Please add, correct and/or modify the above list and circulate to the whole
committee. Looking forward to the discussion!

Regards,
Bjorn

--
Bjorn A. Bjerke                  +1.781.276.0912 (direct)
Qualcomm, Inc.                 +1.781.276.0901 (fax)

This message was sent from the 802.19 email reflector.