RE: <802.15.3a> 802.15.3a Usage model study group

Title: Message

As an action item on the last conference call I agreed to draft a list of activity factors for different applications in the usage scenarios. First pass for discussion is below. The activity factor is the percent of time (averaged over a long period) that the radio interface needs to transmit to support the application and I added the typical time that a session would last. I assumed a 110 Mbps capability and a MAC layer throughput efficiency of 70%. If these assumptions are incorrect the numbers in the table can be scaled. If the PHY bit rate is doubled, the activity factor is halved. Some applications will use very little air time so the interference risk is low as in video conferencing, audio or internet browsing. On the other hand a stream from a digital camcorder uses nearly 80% of the full capacity of the air interface during the viewing time, and is much more likely to cause interference to another receiver within range.

Regards,
David

David Baddeley
Motorola SPS
207 rte de Ferney
1218 Grand-Saconnex, Geneva
Switzerland
Tel +41 22 7991 216
GSM: +41 (0)79 3100401

Table  - PHY Layer utilization in time

Application

Ave. Data Rate

(Mbps)

Peak Data Rate

(Mbps)

QoS

PHY Activity Factor1

(%)

Session duration

Digital Video Distribution

SDTV , DVD, MPEG-2

6

10

yes

8

1.5 h

Dig Camcorder

60

yes

78

30 min

HDTV

20

25

yes

25

1-3 h

Digital Image Transfer,
HD connection

77

no

100

1-60 s

High Quality Audio

1.5

2

yes

2

1 h

Data Network (Printer, Internet)

0.5

10

no

1

1 h

PC Graphics Distribution

4

100

yes

5

1 h

Video Conferencing

1

1.5

yes

1

30 min

1Estimated average fraction of time the PHY emits assuming 110Mbps rate and that max throughput = 0.7x(bit rate)