Scope of the 802.19 PAR

Study Group Members,

            We had a good debate today on the conference call regarding the Scope of the project.  This is a critical issue that we need to resolve.  I wanted to send out an email summarizing some of our options for people to think about.

            We have agreed that we need to be able to assess coexistence of “wireless things” but have not been able to agree on what those things are.

            Here are some of the possible descriptions of the wireless things we want to be able to assess coexistence of,

  • Wireless networks
  • Wireless networks operating in a shared frequency band
  • Wireless networks operating in a shared spectrum
  • Unlicensed wireless networks
  • Wireless systems
  • Wireless technologies

I am sure there are others.

           After thinking about it I thought of another description.  It seems there are two wireless systems that we need to consider.  It also seems that one of them is typically an unlicensed wireless network while the other may be any wireless system.  So we may want to develop terminology for each of these wireless systems.

            So we may want to use a description like the following,

  • Methods of assessing coexistence of unlicensed wireless networks with other wireless systems

If anyone wants to join in on an email discussion on this topic just “reply to all” and send in your comments on this topic.

Regards,

Steve