From: stds-802-19@ieee.org [mailto:stds-802-19@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Tom Siep
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 11:50 AM
To: stds-802-19@ieee.org
Subject: RE: RP Procedure Document

All,

An action I took yesterday was to solicit a contribution for the CA document from CSR people.  When I asked, I got the reply “sure, what do you want?”

My immediate thought was to forward this document, but I thought it would be a good idea to read it as if I was new to the whole process.  In doing so, it seems like we should have defined more precisely what we wanted in this document.  This would make it stand-alone without having to do a lot of research as to what we are looking for.

So to that end, I propose we add some explanatory text just under the bullets in section 2.  My first pass:

Coexistences scenarios are descriptions of equipment, environment, and user tasks for a technology when it is required to operate in the presence of another wireless technology.  Assumed operating characteristics of both technologies must be specified.  The description of the setup necessary to characterize the effect that a Bluetooth stereo headset connected to a notebook computer using Wi-Fi to handle a VoIP call is an example of what a scenario needs to supply.

Coexistence metrics are the measurements that are appropriate to perform for a specified set of scenarios.  Packet error rate, maintenance of wireless links, and some measure of voice quality might be used for the VoIP example in the previous paragraph.

Methods for obtaining the value of the coexistence metrics are precise descriptions of the methodology required to obtain the coexistence metrics for a specific scenario or set of scenarios.  This includes test equipment, environment, and required actions of the person obtaining the values for the coexistence metrics.

Comments?  I have a version that has the addition, if this is acceptable.

Tom