From: ***** IEEE stds-802-11 List *****
[mailto:STDS-802-11@listserv.ieee.org] On Behalf Of Stuart J. Kerry
Sent: Monday, October 02, 2006 10:32 AM
To: STDS-802-11@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [802-11WG] Liaison Statement from 802.16 WG to 802.11 WG
regarding TGy

--- This message came from the IEEE 802.11 Working Group Reflector
---<P>

Roger,

On behalf of the 802.11 WG I would like to thank the 802.16 WG for their
approved liasion statement regarding 802.11 Task Group y.

I have asked via this email my TGy Chair, Peter Ecclesine to coordinate
this
request. Please could you assign a contact person from your WG to work
with
Peter.

Thanks in advance,

/ Stuart

_______________________________

Stuart J. Kerry
Chair, IEEE 802.11 WLANs WG

NXP Semiconductors,
1109 McKay Drive, M/S 48A SJ,
San Jose, CA 95131-1706,
United States of America.

+1 (408) 474-7356 - Phone
+1 (408) 474-5343 - Fax
+1 (408) 348-3171 - Cell
eMail: stuart.kerry@nxp.com
_______________________________

+++ TEXT OF 802.16 LIAISON STATEMENT - start +++

2006-09-28 IEEE L802.16-06/026r1
IEEE 802.16 Working Group on Broadband Wireless Access
http://WirelessMAN.org
Roger B Marks
r.b.marks@ieee.org

To: Stuart Kerry, Chair, IEEE 802.11 Working Group

Dear Stuart,

On behalf of the IEEE 802.16 Working Group, I would like to invite the
P802.11y Task Group (TGy) to meet
jointly with the 802.16 WG's License-Exempt (LE) Task Group during the
November 2006 IEEE 802 Plenary.
I make this request because our LE Task Group has agreed to accept
several
contributions designed to address
the coexistence of IEEE 802.11 and IEEE 802.16 operating in the same
bands
without exclusive licensing. To
our knowledge, this is the first effort within either Working Group to
address such coexistence. We do not
assume that this initial effort will resolve all of the problems.
However,
we hope that it could form the basis of a
possible solution to a problem that we see looming. We would like to
discuss
this with TGy and gather the
thoughts of its participants.

We are particularly interested in discussions with TGy because it is
addressing a band that is devoid of
nonexclusively-licensed devices. Once such devices become widely
deployed,
it would be very difficult to
retroactively enable coexistence. We hope that we can mutually arrange a
satisfactory solution to prevent the
proliferation of 802.11 and 802.16 devices that meets regulatory
requirements but prohibits both from
successfully communicating.

We suggest a meeting time of two hours. We can meet anytime on Tuesday,
Wednesday, or Thursday. We
would prefer to meet early in the week so that we have time to review
the
outcome of the discussions.
We will provide the P802.16h draft for your review as soon as it is
available. In the meantime, I'd like to call
your attention to the previous LE Working Document 802.16h-06/015r1 and
the contribution C802.16h-
06/074r2 (see <http://ieee802.org/16/le>).

Sincerely,
Roger B. Marks
Chair, IEEE 802.16 Working Group on Broadband Wireless Access
cc: Peter Ecclesine, Chair, 802.11 TGy

+++ TEXT OF 802.16 LIAISON STATEMENT - end +++