Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2012 9:07 AM
Subject: [802.19] Avoiding continuous requests in the IEEE 802.19.1 coexistence system

Dear all,

In reference to the TG1 call earlier today and discussion on really frequent requests from an entity to another (CE-to-CM, CM-to-CDIS, etc.) I would like to propose the specification to set strict limits for information requests and how often one can issue them. The reason for the proposal is to avoid standard compliant entity implementations which overload the system with really frequent requests.

Let?s consider the procedure to obtain a coexistence report as specified in section 5.2.4.2 of the DF2.08. That?s the procedure with which a CE requests the latest coexistence report from the CM to which the CE is registered. The report is intended for WSO but from the coexistence system perspective we should concentrate on the interface between a CE and a CM. My proposal is to have the specification to state that a CE may invoke the procedure to obtain a coexistence report only once at least 30 seconds has elapsed from the previous start of the procedure.

In practice this intends to say that a CE may issue a CoexistenceReport_Request message only when at least 30 seconds has elapsed from the previous CoexistenceReport_Request message. This latter wording may have some problems because of possible retransmissions of the CoexistenceReport_Request message. We should at least be very clear that retransmissions are not counted.

Further, I?m not sure whether the limit should be 30 seconds or something else. The value should be, however, such that one can?t overload the system by issuing frequent requests just to check whether the coexistence report has been changed.

What do you think on the proposal? Do you see any challenges in it? What could be a reasonable value to determine how often requests can be issued?

Best Regards,

Mika

!DSPAM:4ff4403338866165620315!