From: Michael Youssefmir [mailto:mike@arraycomm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 1:53 PM
To: Mcginniss, Dave S [GMG]
Cc: stds-80220-requirements@ieee.org; Michael Youssefmir
Subject: Re: stds-80220-requirements: Comment on Functional requirements
document.

Dave,

I agree with your assessment and I more or less had the same
comment in our previous submission to the group. Here is the
proposed change:

Section 3.1.1

"To aid the discussion in this document and in the 802.20
specifications, a straw man Reference Partitioning of the 802.20
functionality is shown in Figure 1.  This reference partitioning model
is similar to those used in other 802 groups...."

Proposal:  Delete entire text in section.

Replace with the following text which defines the limits of 802.20's
responsibilities to define the MAC and PHY layers:

"To facilitate a layered approach, the 802.20 specification shall
incorporate a reference partitioning model consisting of the MAC and
PHY. This layered approach shall be generally consistent with other IEEE
802 standards and shall remain generally within the scope of other IEEE
802 standards as shown in figures 1 &2."

Delete Figure 1 and insert two new figures consisting of slides 8 & 9
of the slide deck sent by Alan Chickinsky to the requirements group on
Jun 21 2003.

Reason:  This section is currently overly detailed and proposes a
specific division of capabilities within the MAC and PHY layers that is
best addressed in the specification itself. Alan's breakdown and slides
are far more instructive in terms of what reference model we should
follow.

I have attached Alan's Slides to this email.

Footnote the new figure 1 with: "Source: IEEE Std 802-2001, IEEE
Standards for Local and Metropolitan Area Networks: Overview and
Architecture, IEEE Std 802 -2001"

Footnote the new figure 2 with: "Source: IEEE Standard for Information
technology, Telecommunications and information exchange between systems,
Local and metropolitan area networks: Specific requirements Part 2:
Logical Link Control, ANSI/IEEE Std 802.2, 1998 Edition, .Introduction
to ANSI/IEEE Std 802.2, 1998 Edition"

Mike