RE: stds-80220-requirements: Frame Error Rate Requirement, 4.1.10

Title: Frame Error Rate Requirement, 4.1.10
Jinweon, Joseph and All,

Few comments:
1.  Typically there is no 1-1 correspondence between data units at different layers.
For example, most MAC protocols do both fragmentation and aggregation of data
units from upper layers. The following terminology is widely used: if we talk
on certain layer (e.g. MAC), data units of above layer are called MAC SDUs
(Service Data Units) while data units of this layer are called MAC PDUs
(Protocol Data Units)
2. So a reliability indicator for layer X, it should be provided in the terms
of errors encountered at the level of SDUs (service data units of this layer). For example,
Ethernet MAC layer transfers IP datagrams, then the indicator should be error ratio
of IP datagrams [M/N where N - number of transferred datagrams, M - number of erroneous
datagrams]. number . There is some problem as the error ratio depends on the datagram
size, but we can normalize to per-1-bit value.
3. It seems natural to measure reliability of future 802.20 PHY in the terms of
error rate for MAC PDUs transported by the PHY. The above comment on normaliztion is applicable.
Probably "frames" mentioned by Jinweon are MAC PDUs
Such definition naturally addresses error ratio "before ARQ" [and other MAC operations,
for example fragmentation/assembly], but "after FEC" (which is a part of PHY)
4. I completely share Jinweon's statement on diversity of services that may result in
diversity of MAC procedures [enabled/disabled ARQ, restricted delivery delay etc.].
Then above MAC [e.g. at TCP/IP level] we may have different error ratio with the same
PHY reliability.
5. Bottom line: reliability requirements should be first specified for PHY. Then - separately -
requirements for MAC's error correction capabilities [for example, "MAC should be able to ensure
MAC SDUs error ratio not more than X while having PHY SDUs error ratio = Y" Typicaly there
is a tradeoff between MAC correction capabilities and system latency].

Vladimir