From: Joanne Wilson [mailto:joanne@arraycomm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 5:30 PM
To: Neka Hicks; Stds-80220-Requirements (E-mail)
Subject: RE: stds-80220-requirements: Frequency Re-use, 4.1.3

Neka,

I agree with you that the current text, "allow for system deployment
with
frequency reuse factors of less than or greater than 1" is confusing.
The
intention was to require that the air interface
support configurations where all frequencies could be used in all
sectors
(e.g. N=1).  My understanding was that the air interface should be
allowed
to support configurations where
frequencies could be used more than once in each sector, i.e. to provide
for
but not require support for spatial diversity.  This is often referred
to as
N<1.  For example, N=.5 means that each frequency is used twice in a
sector.
Note:  Cell sectorization is not a means by which one can reduce N.  It
is
probably clearest for this requirement to be stated on a "per sector"
basis
and to recognize that
an omni-directional cell is considered to be a "single sector" cell.

So, the following is my "friendly amendment" to your proposal.

Proposed Deleted text
"universal frequency reuse but also allow for system deployment with
frequency reuse factors of less than or greater than 1"

Proposed New text
The AI shall support any frequency reuse scenario, on a per sector
basis,
with N <= 1.

Frequency reuse (N) is defined as the reciprocal of the number of times
frequency
can be used in a single sector, recognizing that an omni-directional
cell is
referred to as a
"single sector" cell.

Rationale
This change is recommended in an effort to provide a little more
clarity.

Best regards,

Joanne Wilson