RE: stds-80220-requirements: Max Tolerable Delay Spread, 4.2.3

All,

My initial question was to seek a valid rationale for establishing a Maximum
Tolerable
Delay Spread (MTDS) as a specific, standalone requirement and not to
question whether it should
be a basis for evaluating various MBWA proposals.  As Khurram mentioned,
their studies
have shown that there are some, though few, scenarios where the delay spread
can be in
excess of 5 microseconds.  So, if Neka's proposal was accepted, I assume
that addressing
those scenarios wouldn't be a requirement for an MBWA AI.  The Channel
Modelling CG is
considering different environments that have will have different profiles
for delay spread.  Ultimately, this will feed into the evaluation criteria
and the various MBWA proposals will be
assessed based on their performance in these different environments.  So, I
don't see that
it is necessary for a specific MTDS requirement to be established in the
Requirements document
because it will be included in the evaluation criteria as a consequence of
the channel modelling
work.

Fundamentally, I agree with Bob Love's point (and Jim Mollenaur's prior
presenation) about
the benefit establishing simple requirements.  Moreover, philosophically
speaking, I believe
the requirements document should be written at a high enough level to
capture the essential
requirements in a way that is meaningful to a broad audience.  My personal
litmus test for
what should be in the requirements document is whether it is essential to
the definition of
the MBWA AI, whether it is "visible" to the end customer or operator, and
whether it would not
otherwise naturally flow from another higher level requirement.
Requirements on specific parameters
that flow from higher level requirements would become a part of the
evaluation criteria within the
context of there necessity to support the higher level requirement. For
example, setting a
requirement of 5 microseconds for MTDS in the requirements document is not
as meaningful as
having it flow out of the work on channel models that would establish that
this is a necessary requirement for the MBWA to perform successfully in a
specific operational scenario.

In summary, I believe that it would be more appropriate for the MTDS, and
other such parameters,
to be addressed in the context of channel modelling and the evaluation
criteria, and not in the
Requirements Document. This allows all proposals to be assessed subsequently
on a common basis in a meaningful context.

Best regards,

Joanne