RE: stds-80220-requirements: RE: Marking requirements

Joanne/Jim-

Lets use your guidance that the verb "shall" identifies a requirements.  I
have found the following example in a closed paragraph, which appears to be
an objective with the verb "shall".

Assuming that any requirement in the document will be able to be measured.
So how do you propose we measure the degree of 'optimization' in "The 802.20
Air-Interface (AI) shall be optimized for high-speed IP-based data services
operating on a distinct data-optimized RF channel." (Section 2, first
sentance) Clearly this is an objective or goal.

Another example is the last sentance in Section 2, first paragraph,
"Applications that require the user device to assume the role of a server,
in a server-client model, shall be supported as well."  This is clearly not
a MAC or PHY layer requirement.  How do you propose to identify that this is
not an 802.20 requirement? But this is a requirement that we cannot specify
something that would prohibit this "upper layer requirement".

alan